Saturday, June 25, 2011

US Trip - not just a vacation FOC!

Up to date, many of my friends still ask me, "Why you did you go to the US?"  
Meanwhile some took the assumption that I was on a vacation free of charge. Perhaps I should share what was the sole purpose and some details of the program.If you have been reading my previous post, you must have seen the word SUSI 2011 repeated at many place. SUSI - (got nothing to do with the Japanese food) stands for "Study of the United States Institute".


The Program which I participated is known as SUSI Global Environmental Leadership Issue, fully sponsored by the US Department of State headed by Hilary Clinton.  The US government spend about US$ 11 500  for each participant, that's about RM35K. Big money right? That's the Fellowship Award for the selected 
participants (US tax payers money) 

5 participant is chosen from 4 countries- Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines and Myanmar. Hence, 4 X 5 makes that  20 participants in SUSI 2011. I'm sorry, meant to say 20 hand picked awesome-cool participants! :P and I'm inclusive.

Malaysian Comrades to US
From left, Lee Sun -UM, Chuck -UM, Auji -UPM, "You know who"-USM and Jayden-UPM


Students from tertiary education institution who  demonstrates strong leadership skills in championing environmental issues  are eligible to apply for this program. But it's very competitive. My voluntary work in various organizations and student bodies helped to back up my application and yeah- I was selected!

We spend 35 days in four distinct states, Hawaii, California, Colorado and Washington DC. Kind a hectic schedule - composed of team building, out door adventures, lectures, workshops and site visits.Not to mention tonnes of fun all the way!

This SUSI for Student Leaders on Global Environmental Issues is an intensive, rigorous five-week program whose purpose is to provide groups of undergraduate student leaders with a deeper understanding of the United States while simultaneously enhancing their leadership skills.  The program's ultimate goal is to explore the role that environmental policy has played in the economic and political development of the United States and examine the relationship between environmental security and national security.  The program will also explore environmental issues in the context of a globalized society, and draw comparisons between the United States and the participants' home countries. So, that's not just a vacation FOC!

SUSI 2011 Family!

Before I forget, I would like to thank Rajiv Sharma for introducing the program to me, Kanapathy Sima and Theepzh Chandran for helping with proofreading my application. Thanks a bunch dear friends!

Of course, thanks to the Government of USA for giving me a once in a life time experience!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...