Monday, June 13, 2011

Disguise; as a journalist

There is an abundance of Hindu shops in the Unites States, with a vast collection of exotic Indian artifacts and sacred items from South/ North India and Nepal.  Almost all the cities that I visited had at least one. I as a proud Hindu, I always ‘run away’ from my group and roam freely in this shops.

Ganesha and Nataraja Statues, lingga, incense sticks, rudhaksha and various religious beads wasn’t new or strange to the American society. I was even shocked to see one of the stores carrying various books of our Hindu saints and monks. Worth to mention here is the books on Shaiva saints and Ramana Maharishi.I was impressed that some shops provide facilities like special rooms for their customers to meditate and pray.
Each time I entered a Hindu shop, with the Aum chanting on the background and some incense fragrance, the aura was so divine and I always had goosebumps seeing the beautiful Lord Nataraja statues.  

But sadly, none of the shops allowed photographs.  Each time I leave the shop, I feel disappointed that I couldn't capture any picture for my memory and to share with my frends. I thought that I should do something about this.Hmmm….

There was one day, I saw this Nepali shop in Denver, Colorado which is one of the greenest city in the world.Without much thought, I looked for my camera in my bag pack and kept it nicely in standby mode.

 I entered the shop, taking little steps – as though I am inspecting the shop. The was a Napali guys at the cashier, he smiled at me and said ‘welcome sir, how can I help you?’
‘Nah, I’m just browsing ‘I replied in a low tone.

I walked around the shop like a private investigator. Then I returned to the cashier and introduced myself.

Namaste, I am a journalist from India. I travel around the world writing about Indian tradition in foreign countries. I was a bit nervous, but he actually believed me and kept going.I just fabricated some stories and got his permission to take some pictures!

North Indian Style Shiva - so cute!
Such lovely couples; Radha Rani
Durga, Lord Shiva and Ganesha, Check out the self manifested Linggas below.
Nepali style Nadaraja ( I supppose)
I got so excited and start taking many pictures, and then I hear a voice yelling ‘one or two pictures  is fine sir!’

I didn’t have much of a choice but to leave quickly before he starts to ask me intelligent questions.

As  I walk out,  I took the Hanuman photograph from the outside.
U can see my reflection in it, cant you?

2 comments:

  1. A good idea 2 get some pics...Haha! Lucky da fellow didnt ask 4 ur ID!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, he asked for my name card.. then i took my wallet ( searched for something that never existed) and said i left it in my hotel room!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...